Sunday 19 February 2017

Ynyshir Friday and Dyfi yesterday

On Friday I went to Ynys-hir and had a count of 10 Red-breasted Mergansers on the estuary from the Ynys Feurig hide. Yesterday there were 5 Black-tailed Godwits on Glandwr and at least 3 Shoveler in one of the those rushy ditches to the north of the Leri. There were also 4 Little Grebes on the Leri. The tide was not as high as I'd hoped at the pillbox but the flocks of Dunlin were still to be seen with the usual ducks.
No sign of the Snow Bunting today at Borth but I did enjoy nice views of the green-wing tagged Marsh Harrier from the seafront hunting in between the golf course and the Leri. I spent a good few hours watching the sea from Borth and other than the usual Scoters, Grebes and distant Auks I briefly caught view of a distant Skua sp. heading south, annoyingly I lost view of it when it passed through the glare from the sun. After the Marsh Harrier from today my year list is now on 120, still missing Gadwall, Chough and Stock Dove! Eagerly awaiting the spring migrants!

Edward O'Connor